Spring Select Assist Coordinator
General Spring Select Program Information
Spring Select is a separate and competitive season from the Fall Primary Program and Spring Development League for teams comprised of players selected by a region’s designated coach. Spring Select is an opportunity for a player to improve his/her skills in the competitive environment of Area 1N Spring Select League and large AYSO sanctioned tournaments.
A limited number of teams are formed in divisions 10U to 19U depending on coach availability, qualification and interest as well as available volunteer support. Spring Select teams are typically formed in November/December preceding the Spring Select season, which normally runs from late January through early June.
In some cases the region-designated coach will hold an open try-out in order to identify potential players for his/her roster. Alternately, a coach may select players based on his/her personal criteria from a list of pre-nominated players.
The core Philosophies of AYSO and the overall goal of maintaining a child-friendly environment are maintained during the Spring Select Season; however, Spring Select differs from the regular fall season program in the following ways:
- The number of players able to participate is limited by available coaches and support staff (i.e. Referees, team managers, program administrators, etc.)
- Spring Select is a program in which players are invited by coaches to participate on his/her team.
- Applicants are not guaranteed placement and may be disqualified for multiple reasons, including but not limited to skill level, attitude, and prior behavior(s).
- A greater commitment by the players and parents is required as play includes regular and sometimes extensive travel.
- The cost of participation in Spring Select is higher, as travel and lodging costs are often incurred in addition to custom uniforms, and various registration, referee and tournament entry fees.
- Unlike fall season, a coach is able to drop a player that does not fulfill his/her commitment to the team. Missing too many practices or games, being disruptive or disrespectful, etc., can be grounds for removal from a team (no player shall be removed solely based upon his/her performance or lack thereof).
Parents should be cautioned that a player’s participation in another sport during the Spring Select season is highly discouraged and many coaches will not select a player if he/she is playing multiple sports at the same time. Additionally, parents should understand that Spring Select soccer is essentially an All-Star level play and to be selected is a privilege, not a right. Participants should recognize that they are making a commitment to a team and the commitment should not be entered into casually.
How many teams is the region fielding?
The region has not decided. However, the region strives to strike the balance between player development, competitiveness, volunteer availability and qualifications. Generally, there must be a compelling reason for a second team to be formed in a division.
If I am not selected as coach can I appeal?
No. Selections are made with the best interests of the program in mind and after lengthy debate and vote.
If my child is not selected can I appeal?
No. Player selections are based upon coach criteria and with the exception of selections that violate guidelines or lack sufficient volunteer support are generally upheld. In fact, calling, following and generally harassing a coach about a child’s selection before or after the selection process is generally a sign your child should not be selected.
How much is the player fee this year?
Who are we playing?
Play includes regular and sometimes extensive travel based on location of tournaments. Season games for U10 to U14 will be in Redlands, Mountains, Hemet, Nuevo and possibly others regions nearby. U16 & U19 might travel further away.
Can players re-use uniforms?
No. New season, new uniforms.
- 9/24/2018 Coach application period opens
- 9/29/2018 Player nomination period opens (by parents & coaches)
- 10/12/2018 Coach application and player nomination period ends
- 10/13/2018 Spring Select Coach Selection meeting
- 10/14/2018 Spring Select Coaches notified of selection
- 10/14/2018 Spring Select Coaches notified of regrets
- 10/29/2018 to 11/2/2018 Spring Select Tryouts
- 11/3/2018 Spring Select MANDATORY Parent Informational Meeting – 6pm to 6:45pm – Fellowship in the Pass Church (650 Oak Valley Pkwy., Beaumont, CA, 92223)
- 11/3/2018 Spring Select MANDATORY Coaches Meeting, 7pm to 8pm (following parent meeting) – Fellowship in the Pass Church (650 Oak Valley Pkwy., Beaumont, CA, 92223)
- 11/12/2018 Spring Select Players notification of selection
- 11/18/2018 Spring Select Coach “Call-by” Date
- 11/18/2018 Spring Select Players notified of regrets (by the region)
- 01/21/2019 Spring Select practices may commence
- 03/11/2019 Spring Select season begins (tentative)
The tryouts schedule per division is as follows:
- Monday October 29th 10U Boys 5:30pm – 6:45pm 3
- Monday October 29th 12U Boys 5:30pm – 6:45pm 4
- Monday October 29th 12U Girls 6:45pm – 8:00pm 4
- Tuesday October 30th 16U Girls 5:30pm – 6:45pm 4
- Tuesday October 30th 19U Girls 5:30pm – 6:45pm 4
- Wednesday October 31st No tryouts Halloween!
- Thursday November 1st 10U Girls 5:30pm – 6:45pm 4
- Thursday November 1st 14U Boys 5:30pm – 6:45pm 3
- Thursday November 1st 14U Girls 6:45pm – 8:00pm 4
- N/A 16U Boys No tryouts!
- N/A 19U Boys No tryouts!
Spring Select Events
2019 Fall Season - Early Bird Registration | Tuesday March 12, 2019 - Tuesday April 30, 2019
5th Annual Cherry Cup Tournament | Saturday April 13, 2019 - Sunday April 14, 2019
Cherry Cup Invitational is open to sanctioned AYSO Spring Select and Extra teams in the 10U to U16U divisions. The fourth annual tournament will be held on April 13 & 14, 2019 in Beaumont.
Tournament information is available at CherryCup.org