General Spring Select Program Information
Spring Select is a separate, competitive season from the Fall Primary Program and Spring Co-ed Development League for teams comprised of players selected by a region’s designated coach. Spring Select is an opportunity for a player to improve his/her skills in the competitive environment of Area 1N Spring Select League and large AYSO sanctioned tournaments.
A limited number of teams are formed in divisions 10U to 19U depending on coach availability, qualification and interest as well as available volunteer support. Spring Select teams are typically formed in November/December preceding the Spring Select season, which normally runs from March through early June.
In some cases the region-designated coach will hold an open try-out in order to identify potential players for his/her roster. Alternately, a coach may select players based on his/her personal criteria from a list of pre-nominated players.
The core Philosophies of AYSO and the overall goal of maintaining a child-friendly environment are maintained during the Spring Select Season; however, Spring Select differs from the regular fall season program in the following ways:
- The number of players able to participate is limited by available coaches and support staff (i.e. referees, team managers, program administrators, etc.)
- Spring Select is a program in which players are invited by coaches to participate on his/her team.
- Applicants are not guaranteed placement and may be disqualified for multiple reasons, including but not limited to skill level, attitude, and prior behavior(s).
- A greater commitment by the players and parents is required as play includes regular and sometimes extensive travel.
- The cost of participation in Spring Select is significantly higher as travel and lodging costs are often incurred in addition to custom uniforms, and various registration, referee and tournament entry fees.
- Unlike fall primary season, a coach is able to drop a player that does not fulfill his/her commitment to the team. Missing too many practices or games, being disruptive or disrespectful, etc., can be grounds for removal from a team (no player shall be removed solely based upon his/her performance or lack thereof).
Parents should be cautioned that a player’s participation in another sport during the Spring Select season is highly discouraged and many coaches will not select a player if he/she is playing multiple sports at the same time. Additionally, parents should understand that Spring Select soccer is essentially an All-Star level play and to be selected is a privilege, not a right. Participants should recognize that they are making a commitment to a team and the commitment should not be entered into casually.